Serve Meals Family-Style
I’ve talked about family meals on other podcasts before, but I’ve never devoted an entire episode of my own show to this very important topic. When I started serving Family-Style meals for my own family, my husband and I celebrated over the amazingly positive results in my children’s eating habits.
My clients have also seen success with this method, so I want to take the time to dig in deeper with my podcast community. Feeding your family takes up a lot of time, so I want to make this process as easy as possible for your busy lifestyle.
In this episode, will outline how to serve Family-Style meals, give you some general principles for success, and answer some of my most frequently asked questions. Make sure you listen to the entire show because at the end I’ll be giving out a special challenge to all the families out there!
3 Easy Steps to Family-Style Meals
Step 1: Decide what you’re serving before dinnertime.
Step 2: Center the meal on the table.
Step 3: Gather around and serve yourself.
It’s as easy as that! Do you still have concerns or questions? Never fear! In this episode, I’ll give you my best practices and answer some of the common troubleshooting questions that come up most in my practice. Get ready to have your go-to guide for all things Family-Style Meals!Plating food sets up an environment of Competing for Completing the meal. Click To Tweet
What You Will Learn About Family-Style Meals
- Changing how I served my meals revolutionized my own children’s eating habits.
- Kids should eat until they are satisfied.
- Focus on four food groups.
- Include something your entire family will enjoy.
- Model proper portion sizes.
- When you center your meal on the table, everyone gets equal access to each food.
- Serve yourself to monitor your satisfaction level.
- Teach your child how to politely accept and refuse food.
- How to help younger children with the heavy bowls and spoons.
- Let the child decide which foods he will eat and how much to put on his plate.
- Don’t make comments about the food.
- I’ll answer some of the biggest questions.
- Family-Style meals do work well with picky eaters.
What I Discuss
- I celebrate some of the incredible listener feedback from my episode on ARFID.
- 2018 is a big year! Hear all of the opportunities I’ll be kicking off this year, and find out how to be a part of it!
- All the nitty-gritty details about feeding your family well.
- Guiding principles for success.
- How to handle “big eaters.”
- A funny story about Family-Style eating.
- My two challenge for you to start your journey!
Links Mentioned In The Show
Eat Like a Champion sports nutrition course
Help The Nourished Child Grow
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: January 18, 2018
Updated on: November 21, 2018