You all know that my philosophy on nourishing healthy children goes much further than just feeding them healthily. There is a powerful balance between food, feeding methods, and positive language around eating that contribute to our kid’s wellbeing and development, and I have the perfect person on the podcast to speak on this topic.
My guest this week is Heidi Schauster – a nutrition therapist, certified eating disorders registered dietician and the founder of Nourishing Words Nutrition Therapy. Heidi has a wonderful book, Nourish: How to Heal Your Relationship with Food, Body, and Self. She encourages health regardless of size and embodies eating and living for all.There’s no way you can feed a little infant without having them tied up in all kinds of other comforts and emotions as well. Food is so multifaceted for all of us. @nourishingwords Click To Tweet
As a mom of 13-year-old twin daughters, Heidi has been in the thick of it all and I’m incredibly excited for you to hear her unique insights from her training in psychology and her professional and personal life. Tune in as Heidi shares some of the lessons from her book and we consider how they can be applied to children and their relationship with food.
What You’ll Learn about Nourish:
- Why the word nourish is relevant beyond just food.
- How diet culture skews our understanding of health.
- Why Heidi decided to write a book on nutrition.
- How our relationship with food begins as soon as we’re born.
- Why our relationship with our bodies ties into our philosophy on food.
- How childhood dieting can affect weight issues in adulthood.
- Why being aware of our biases will benefit our children in the long run.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- How to Raise Kids to Love Food, their Bodies and Themselves
- Get in touch with Heidi: Website | Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Nourish: How to Heal Your Relationship with Food, Body, and Self by Heidi Schauster
- What is a healthy relationship with food?
- TNC 016: Your Child’s Relationship with Food with Julie Duffy Dillon
- TNC 054: How to Help (and Not Hurt) The Heavy Kid
- TNC 026 How to Raise a Mindful Eater
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: June 21, 2018
Updated on: September 21, 2019