At a time when rates of osteoporosis are climbing and the consumption of calcium and vitamin D are suboptimal, the question of bone growth in children is a natural one.
How do we ensure children are developing healthy bones during childhood?
How do we prevent osteoporosis and set kids up for a future of strong, healthy bones?
In this episode, I dig into these questions and more in my interview with Dr. Taylor Wallace.
What You Will Learn about Bone Growth:
- How healthy bones are formed during childhood
- What peak bone mass is
- How to maximize peak bone mass
- Why rates of osteoporosis are increasing in America
- Actionable steps to help encourage healthy bone growth in your child
- The role of calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients in bone growth
- Effective food patterns and their role in bone growth and development
What We Cover:
- Bone growth for boys and girls
- The role of protein in bone health
- Why peak bone mass is so important for bone growth and bone health
- When peak bone mass is achieved
- The shocking statistics of osteoporosis and what that means for you and your child
- Best foods for bone nutrients
- The role of calcium, and in particular, dairy foods versus plant foods
- The controversy around calcium recommendations
Links Mentioned in the Show:
Dr. Taylor Wallace’s website
The National Osteoporosis Foundation’s website
Family Mealtime Rules to Live By (FREE DOWNLOAD)
Like the Show? Help The Nourished Child GROW!
Subscribe to the show in iTunes, on Android, Stitcher Radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above)
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram–or where ever you hang out.
Don’t miss a thing! Join my weekly newsletter to get my sanity-saving, practical advice for nourishing kids of all ages (plus FREE cheat sheets, check lists, and guides…and more!).
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: December 1, 2016
Updated on: November 21, 2018