Whole grains are an important part of a healthy diet. Heart health, digestive health, weight management benefits and the filling factor should be reason enough to find ways to get whole grains on the table.
But sadly, statistics show that children (and adults) are missing the mark on whole grains consumption.
Many parents I know are interested in raising the bar on whole grain eating in their household. In fact, 78% of Americans are trying to eat more whole grains.
Here are a few ways to get more whole grains onto your family meal table:
- Know your whole grains. Don’t be intimidated by them. Most whole grains need a little bit of water and cook time, and take on the flavors of what you mix and add to them.
- Look for the Whole Grains Stamp on food products in the grocery store. This is your first and most obvious cue to finding whole grains. If you don’t want to be on a scavenger hunt in the grocery store, check out this listing of products that meet the whole grain standard.
- Experiment with one new whole grain TODAY! On your grocery list, write “whole grain” and pick one up. Barley, quinoa, brown rice, wheat berries, wild rice, whole corn meal, oats, or bulgur are good starting points. Just do it!
- Make substitutions in your regular recipes. Check out this nice list of easy substitutions.
- Try some new kid-friendly recipes.
Ever try a Buckwheat Fudge-sicle? Me neither, but here’s a recipe (and it’s on my to-do list):
2 1/2 cups chocolate almond milk
1/4 cup cream of buckwheat cereal
2 TBSP cocoa powder
2 TBSP (real) maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
Bring the almond milk to a boil. Add all other ingredients, and mix well.
Bring back to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
Optional: Use an immersion blender or blender to blend the buckwheat more thoroughly into the other ingredients.
Put in popsicle molds and freeze.
Still need more motivation? This should get your attention.
Celebrate Whole Grains Month in September 2011 by participating in the Whole Grains Stampede!
Simply visit the Whole Grains Council website anytime from September 1 to September 30, and tell them about your favorite products bearing the Whole Grain Stamp that you enjoy throughout the day. You’ll be entered in a random drawing for two fabulous Grand Prizes.
Plus, the first 300 entrants will also receive a selection of discount coupons for delicious whole grain products.
Whole Grains Month is a wonderful time to focus on the benefits of whole grains, so join us for the Whole Grains Stampede!
Need help finding products that use the Whole Grain Stamp?
- Check your kitchen shelves. You may be surprised to see the Whole Grain Stamp on products you buy regularly.
- Keep your eyes open next time you go grocery shopping. You’ll see the Whole Grain Stamp in every aisle.
- Visit the Stamped Products pages of this website, and browse our lists of products that use the Whole Grain Stamp.
*One entry per person. Your entry information will not affect your chances for winning. First and Second Prize winners will be chosen randomly from all entries. Ages 18 and up only.
This Campaign has ended.
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: September 2, 2011
Updated on: May 10, 2019