School Nutrition Today
I’m so excited to have Donna Martin, RD on the show today to talk about school nutrition. She is the School Nutrition Director for the Burke County School system in Waynesboro, GA and also the President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for the present year (2017-2018).
Donna and I talk about school nutrition, breaking down the basics around the school lunch program, the strengths of the program, where we’ve been, how far we’ve come, and where the school lunch program is headed, as well as the daily challenges of being a school nutrition director, her career and more.
What You Will Learn About School Nutrition
- The story of school lunch and how it has evolved over time
- The reasons school lunch is important for kids
- The nutrition guidelines schools pay attention to when planning meals
- The financials of school lunch – pay, reduced, free –and who qualifies for what
- The successes and failures around school lunch
- Special successes in school nutrition for athletes
- Ways to build student autonomy with food choice and eating
- Advice for families who are starting the school year
- How to help children choose and eat a healthy lunch at school
What We Discuss
- Donna’s background and how she got involved in school nutrition
- The specific guidelines for sodium, vegetables, calories, milk, whole grains and desserts
- Budget constraints with running a school lunch program
- Federal government subsidies for school nutrition programs
- Speed scratch cooking
- The Supper Program, Breakfast in the Classroom, and rollbacks in school nutrition
- 3 tips for helping kids start school
- Silent lunchrooms and community eligibility
- Stigma and school lunch — is it better or worse?
- What the future of school nutrition holds and how you can get involved
Links I Mention in the Show
Burke County Public Schools Nutrition (website)
Donna on Facebook: DonnaSMartin
Donna on Twitter: @DonnaMartinRD
Help The Nourished Child Grow!
If you do nothing else…please consider writing a review on iTunes! Writing a review is the single most impactful thing you can do to bring this show in front of others.
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, on Android, Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above).
Tune in to the POD Network, or download the FREE app. Parents on Demand (POD) is a network of parenting podcasts. When you download the app, you’ll get an array of high quality parenting podcasts right on your phone, updated automatically.
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram—where ever you hang out.
P.S. Join my community over on Facebook: facebook.com/TheNourishedChild page!
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: August 17, 2017
Updated on: November 21, 2018