If your child won’t eat, this show is for you!
One of the most frustrating things for a parent is the child who won’t eat. We hear a lot about overeating, but what about when your child won’t eat enough or a healthy balance of foods?
There are reasons children won’t eat, and it’s not always because they don’t like the food that’s offered. In this episode, I look at some of the most common reasons kids won’t eat.There are many reasons why kids won’t eat—dig in and try to figure out why. Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn about Kids Not Eating:
- Why the rate of growth affects appetite, and how this can show up as “not eating.”
- What is adiposity rebound
- Why erratic and finicky eating is part of toddlerhood, and what you shouldn’t do about it
- How pressure and nagging can contribute to not eating, but also overeating
- Why you should expect, to some degree, food allergies to interfere with eating
- Whether your child might be a supertaster
- How sensitivity to food texture or other characteristics can get in the way of eating
- Why snacking can deter eating at meals
- Whether disordered eating is real or just an experiment
- Why a full schedule can impede eating
- The importance of digging deeper to find out why your child isn’t eating
What I discuss in this episode:
- My experience with my own child not eating (and the why behind it and my solution)
- The difference between a typical phase and something more serious
- When to sound the alarms and get help, and when to ride it out
- What to expect with growth and weight gain
- How to avoid making things worse
Links I mentioned in the Show:
Ellyn Satter’s Division of Responsibility
Help The Nourished Child podcast GROW!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, or on Android. It’s also on Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above).
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram—where ever you hang out!