Sweet temptations lurk everywhere—parents don’t stand a chance at striking a sugar balance with kids unless they have some strategies and boundaries in place. And, no, eliminating all sweets doesn’t work. But, I’m going to share with you what does work. Learn about the sugar balance for kids and how to strike it, along with some simple strategies to maintain sweets in the diet without wrecking it.Eliminating all sweets doesn't work for kids, but having a strategy for them does. Click To Tweet
You Will Learn:
- What a healthy food balance is, and how to plan for it at meals and snacks
- The current guidelines on added sugar from the CDC, AHA and WHO
- My easy rule for keeping sweets in check
- Ways to cut down added sugar in your child’s diet, should you need to
- My hierarchy of sweets
- Why children are drawn to sweets
In this episode, I cover:
- The amount of sugar recommended for adults and children on a daily basis
- How to work in sweets so they stay in balance with your child’s healthy diet
- How to use averages and flexibility when it comes to allowing sweets
- Why it’s important to let your child have a say in which sweets he eats
- Why food balance looks different for everyone
- How restriction of sweets can backfire
Links I mentioned in the Show:
The Nourished Child Episode #2—Putting food in its Place
The Nourished Child Episode #3–What’s Your Feeding Style?
Help The Nourished Child Grow:
Subscribe to the show—on iTunes, on Android, Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (click on above feeds under the player)
Share the podcast on social media—FB, Twitter, LInkedIN, Pinterest—where-ever you hang out!
The more parents that know about the show, the more informed and better at nourishing their child they will be!
Don’t miss a beat! Join my newsletter for up-to-date childhood nutrition information, tips and strategies.
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: October 13, 2016
Updated on: July 21, 2019