As graduation looms, the reality of what follows is a sobering thought for every parent out there whose children are taking the next step in their lives. Your child will be living on their own for the first time, preparing their own meals and in charge of their own nutrition.
Luckily for us, we have a lifesaver on the show today in the form of my friend and colleague, Katie Morford, author of Prep: The Essential College Cookbook. Katie is a food and nutrition writer who lives in San Francisco with her husband and three daughters. She has written three cookbooks and her writing and recipes have appeared, among others, in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Family Circle, and Oprah.
Listen in on our conversation as we discuss why this topic is important, how cooking aides socializing, and the disadvantages of not preparing your kids for taking this leap. She even has some advice for parents who worry that they’ve missed the boat and neglected exposing their teens to cooking. If you have someone in your family going off to college, this episode is a great insight into the next step."When I ask my kids what they're cooking and they tell me they just found a recipe online, I always hold my breath because there are so many unreliable recipes online. That bums me out because if you're a starter cook and you put the time… Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- The most compelling reasons for cooking at home as a college student.
- How Katie came to write her latest book.
- Why it is never too early to prepare your kids for cooking for themselves.
- Why, no matter how well you think you have prepared your kids, you will still panic.
- Katie’s advice for parents who worry they’ve underprepared.
- How Katie involved her kids in the writing of Prep.
- Why Katie loves simple reliable recipes when dealing with beginners.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase using my link, I will receive a small commission to help sustain this website. Thank you!
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- Mom’s Kitchen Handbook https://www.momskitchenhandbook.com/
- 10 Cooking Skills Every College Kid Should Know
- Prep: The Essential College Cookbook by Katie Morford
- The Best Lunchbox Ever by Katie Morford
- Rise and Shine by Katie Morford
- TNC 80: Why Kids Need a High Protein Breakfast with Heather Leidy
- TNC 81: Whole Foods vs. Supplements: Which is Best? With Stephen van Vliet
- TNC 82: Are Protein Supplements Good for Young Athletes? With Stuart Phillips
- TNC 19: Better Breakfast recipes for Busy Kids
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy The Show?
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: May 9, 2019
Updated on: May 20, 2019