Ask Jill: Lead in Baby Food & More
I’ve been getting a few questions here and there, so I thought I’d devote a show to answering them! In this episode, I unpack the recent news about lead in baby food, clear the air on what breastfed toddlers need for nutrition during their second year of life, and answer a question about choosing the right milk for a child who has a milk allergy.
What You Will Learn:
- The latest news on lead in baby food
- Which baby foods contain the most lead
- How to moderate your baby’s consumption of lead-containing baby food
- The nutritional requirements of toddlers who continue to breastfeed in the second year
- How breastmilk contributes nutrition to the toddler’s diet
- What parents should consider when choosing a milk substitute for their milk allergic child
- Which alternative milks are most nutritious (FREE GUIDE)
What I Discuss:
- The prevalence of lead in baby food
- The keys to avoiding too much lead in your baby’s diet
- The benefits of continued breastfeeding in the second year of life
- The nutritional shortfalls of breastmilk for the toddler
- How to balance breastfeeding and meals so your toddler gets optimal nutrition
- The key nutrients that are at risk when a child is allergic to milk
- The differences between milk alternatives (not all substitutes are created equal)
- Some of the best alternative options for children with milk allergy
Links I Mentioned in the Show:
- Environmental Defense Fund research findings (Press Release)
- The Smart Mom’s Guide to Starting Solids
- Try New Food
- Milk Nutrition Showdown
Help The Nourished Child Grow!
If you do nothing else…please consider writing a review on iTunes! Writing a review is the single most impactful thing you can do to bring this show in front of others.
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, on Android, Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above).
Tune in to the POD Network, or download the FREE app. Parents on Demand (POD) is a network of parenting podcasts. When you download the app, you’ll get an array of high quality parenting podcasts right on your phone, updated automatically.
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram—where ever you hang out.
P.S. Join my community over on Facebook: facebook.com/TheNourishedChild page!
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: August 4, 2017
Updated on: June 25, 2019