Eating disorders are probably one of the scariest things that can develop around food for our children. As a parent, it’s important to learn the signs of an eating disorder so we can catch it early. It can sometimes be hard to detect if our child is eating abnormally, especially if they are older and spend more time and meals away from home.
I’m joined by two fantastic experts in this episode, Wendy Sterling and Casey Crosbie, to talk about eating disorders in children, their family-centered treatment program for EDs, and their Plate-by-Plate approach for nourishing a child through an eating disorder.“If at any point you have a concern about nutrition or medical stability or behaviors that are going on, the sooner you can get your child to see a professional, the better. And hopefully the parent is wrong, but the sooner the better.” -… Click To Tweet
If your child is eating abnormally, it’s never too early to take them to the pediatrician for a check-up and see if you need more extensive help. The prognosis for children recovering from an ED is good, especially if they have a lot of familial support and a manageable, sustainable approach to healing their relationship with food. Wendy, Casey and I discuss all of this and more – tune in below!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Warning signs parents should watch for to detect a child’s eating disorder.
- When parents should get help if they suspect their child might have an eating disorder.
- The prevalence of eating disorders in athletes.
- Which populations are at risk for developing eating disorders.
- What nutrition and re-feeding during eating disorder treatment looks like.
- A breakdown of Wendy and Casey’s Plate-by-Plate approach.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase using my link, I will receive a small commission to help sustain this website. Thank you!
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- Fearless Feeding — the 2nd Edition — is now available on Amazon.
- How to Nourish Your Child Through an Eating Disorder: A Simple, Plate-by-Plate Approach to Rebuilding a Healthy Relationship with Food by Wendy Sterling and Casey Crosbie
- No Weigh! A Teen’s Guide to Body Image, Food, and Emotional Wisdom by Wendy Sterling, Shelley Aggarwal, and Signe Darpinian
- Wendy Sterling, MS, RD, CSSD | Instagram | Twitter | No Weigh on Instagram
- Casey Crosbie, RD, CSSD | Plate-by-Plate Approach on Instagram
- Article: The Plate-by-Plate Approach
- Article: Moving Beyond Brown Rice: What is Orthorexia?
- Article: Compulsive Exercise
- TNC 016: Your Child’s Healthy Relationship with Food
- TNC 060: Nourish: How to Heal Your Relationship with Food, Body and Self with Heidi Schauster
- TNC 062: How to Raise Middle School Girls Who Eat Lunch with Katie Hurley
- TNC 076: 10 Things I’ve Learned from Nourishing Four Kids
- The Healthy Teen Project
- Dr. Neville Golden
- Dr. James Lock
- Melanie Smith
- Parents On Demand podcast network
- Jill’s Programs
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy The Show?
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: February 14, 2019
Updated on: February 12, 2019