A person’s brain grows fastest during the first three years of life. The brain doubles in size in the first 12 months, and has tripled in size within the first 36 months. Of course, nutrition plays a crucial role in brain development and how it plays out, alongside the amount of engagement the baby has with its parents.
Today I’m joined by Dr. Bob Murray, a pediatrician who specializes in gastrointestinal diseases and nutrition. He has a wealth of knowledge about the nutrients babies need to develop both before and after birth.“Really consciously build your child's strong dietary pattern over the period between 6 and 24 months, so that by the time they're two, they'll have a wide variety of food preferences and it'll be easier to feed that child over time.” - Dr.… Click To Tweet
Dr. Murray and I talk about how a baby’s brain develops in their first months of life, why parents often focus on individual nutrients rather than the whole nutrition package, and what you should keep in mind when creating your baby’s meals. We also discuss feeding approaches and societal feeding trends we think parents should be wary of.
What You’ll Learn About Brain Development:
- The role of nutrition in a baby’s brain development.
- Why a rich environment where adults talk to babies constantly is great for their rapidly growing brains.
- Some of the nutrients you should keep in mind when deciding what and how to feed your baby, and how to include these in a well-rounded, diverse diet.
- Societal trends about feeding, nutrition, and food restriction that nutritionists find concerning.
- Why parents who are feeding their child a diet of nutrient-dense foods shouldn’t worry overmuch if they also like sweets from time to time.
- Benefits of baby-led weaning and spoon feeding.
- What parents of picky eaters should keep in mind when trying to ensure their child is eating a balanced and nutritious diet.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase using my link, I will receive a small commission to help sustain this website. Thank you!
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- Dr. Bob Murray | Email
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy Nutrition and Dietetics | For Kids
- Fearless Feeding — the 2nd Edition — is now available on Amazon.
- The Try New Foods workbook is also available on Amazon!
- Article: DHA Benefits: How DHA Helps Your Child’s Brain
- Article: How to Get Enough Choline for You and Your Child
- Article: Getting Enough Iron with Baby-Led Weaning
- TNC 040: The Mind of a Champion & Coach with Dan Walsh
- T. Berry Brazelton
- Parents On Demand podcast network
- The Boob Group Podcast
- Jill’s Programs
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy The Show?
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: February 28, 2019
Updated on: August 26, 2019