Banana chocolate chip muffins are my favorite muffin recipe to make and eat! Get the inside scoop on the recipe I use to make these moist, fiber-full muffins for my kids.
I have many cooks in my kitchen, and I can attest that too many cooks in the kitchen can spoil the fun…sometimes! However, I also realize how important it is to give kids the chance to be involved in the kitchen, so I try to accommodate the request whenever I can.
A few weekends ago, my girl wanted to make muffins—and I wanted to try out the gorgeous colorful bowls I am giving away this week. So we tackled a recipe modification, some cooking instructions (really, supervision and answering questions on my part), and tried out these Zak! Designs Confetti Mixing Bowls.
My kids gobbled up these banana chocolate chip muffins —and I have to say, they were really delicious! We swapped out the white flour for whole wheat flour, and added the chocolate chips. You could certainly leave out the chips, or use nuts or dried fruit instead.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins made with Whole Wheat Flour
Here’s how I made these banana muffins with chocolate chips!
You will need:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 large ripe bananas, mashed**
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Makes 2 ½ to 3 dozen regular sized muffins.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the bananas, vanilla, and eggs.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips. Use a ¼ cup measure to portion the batter for each muffin. Pour into muffin tins lined with muffin papers.
- Bake at 350 F. Check after 15 minutes (may take up to 18 minutes). Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
**I usually have 1 or 2 bananas that don’t get eaten when they are at their peak, so I throw them in the freezer. When I accumulate 7 of them, I defrost them and make this recipe!
Written by: Jill Castle, MS, RDN
Published on: January 29, 2013
Updated on: October 17, 2019