Disclosure: I received Popchips from the manufacturer in exchange for an objective review. Opinions are my own.
Snacking is a normal and necessary, if not an unavoidable, part of any child’s day. Popchips are one option for snack time, and I am reviewing them here.
Popchips, Inc. was founded in California in 2007. What are Popchips? They are a new innovation in snack chips. They are not baked, they are not fried, they are…..wait for it…..popped! It happens using a little heat and pressure on pieces of potato the size of grains of rice or corn kernels. (This simply couldn’t happen with the bigger slices of traditional chips)
Nutrition Facts: (1 oz./20 chips)
- Calories- 120
- Total Fat- 4g
- Saturated Fat- 0 to 0.5g
- Trans Fat- 0g
- Sodium- 250 to 310mg
- Blend of seasonings
- Safflower and/or sunflower oil for seasoning
- A little more sodium than traditional fried chips
- Vegan- original, sea salt & vinegar, and salt & pepper only
- Nuts- none
- Dairy- Barbeque, Sour Cream & Onion, and Cheddar only
- Gluten/Wheat- not an ingredient, but present in the processing facility
- Soy lecithin- Parmesan Garlic only
- Kosher (certified by kof-k kosher supervision)
- Acrylamide (found in all fried, baked, and roasted products)
- Not Organic
- Half the total fat of fried chips
- Zero grams trans fat
- Low saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- No hydrogenated oils
- No artificial colors or flavors
- No preservatives (this makes proper storage more important to freshness)
- No MSG
- Low in sugar
What are the Options?
- Original potato
- Barbeque potato
- Sour Cream & Onion potato
- Cheddar potato
- Sea Salt & Vinegar potato
- Salt & Pepper potato
- Parmesan Garlic potato
Where are they found? Whole Foods, Safeway, Target, Wegman’s, Jamba Juice, and select Costco locations. You can also order them online.
My opinion, for what it’s worth: I tried the Barbeque and Cheddar flavors. To me, the taste was similar to traditional fried potato chips of the same flavor, but without the greasy mess. There is also an airy quality to the crunch.
If you would like to try them yourself, or just want more information, visit www.popchips.com. Happy snacking!